I graduated college a year ago, well almost a year… it will be one year on May 4th, so one week from today. And for the past year nothing has seemed permanent. I don’t know if that’s the word I’m looking for, but I don’t know how else to describe it. I felt like I was in this transitional phase of my life and I wasn’t sure where I was going next. I kept thinking that I needed something else, that I needed to be doing “more”… and I wasn’t sure what that “more” was. I think it has a lot to do with all those stupid lists of things that twenty-somethings/twenty-two year olds/single girls/recent graduates/you-name-it-there’s-a-list-for-it should be doing at this EXACT moment in their lives. And while I may find those lists stupid, I read them alllll, and I think subconsciously those lists stick in my mind. So I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when I find myself wondering if I’m on track with the rest of the world. But from now on, I’m sticking to my own list. The one that I’m coming up with day-by-day. And who cares if it changes every day, because it’s MY list. The only person who should have any say in this list is God… and my parents, because they’re way smarter than me ;) So here’s my list, the list of things I’d like to be better at or do within in the next few months:
1. save money: learn to spend less; as in not purchasing the same $18 lipstick from Anthro in every shade they offer because, who knows, I may just love them all. Or not spending $40 to upgrade my seat on a flight because I just cannotttt have a middle seat.
2. be less impulsive: I guess this goes hand-in-hand with the saving money. If I would take a minute to think before making a decision, I’d probably make a much better choice.
3. enjoy the outdoors: And I don’t mean just sitting on a patio sipping a glass of wine. I want to really to learn to enjoy things like hiking and kayaking… you know, outdoorsy, active things.
4. buy a car: I’m actually really excited about this. I can’t wait to have my own car. It’s been such a fun process so far deciding which brand and style I want (hmmm doesn’t sound like car lingo, but you get the point).
5. spend more time in quiet prayer: I want to quiet my mind and pray without getting distracted so easily.
And that’s all I have on MY list… at this moment. There’s a song that I’ve been listening to a lot recently, it’s ‘Help Me Find It’ by Sidewalk Prophets. The refrain goes: “If there’s a road I should walk, help me find it. If I need to be still, give me peace for the moment!” So tonight, that’s my prayer, as I figure out my own list, I’m asking God to either show me a path to walk or to remind me to be still. What’s on your list?
I’m off to bed, and I’m sure as I scroll through twitter before falling asleep, I’ll see a few more of those oh so lovely lists. Happy Sunday! xo